||In 1938, the nucleus of the Alexandria University had its beginning in the form of two satellite faculties of Fouad the First University. These were the faculties of Arts and Law. The faculty of Engineering was then established in 1941.
In the light of the need for developing more disciplines for higher learning and with a view towards meeting the need of the people of Alexandria, Alexandria University, formerly known as Farouk University, became a separate entity in August 1942 with four additional faculties: Science, Commerce, Medicine and Agriculture.
In 1952, it became "Alexandria University". Since then, the University witnessed growth and expansion in several fields: the number of Faculties and high institutes increased to 30. Some example of them are as follows:
Faculty of Nursing, 1954 (formerly, High Institute of Nursing)
Faculty of Pharmacy, 1956
High Institute of Public Health, 1963
Faculty of Education, 1969
Faculty of Dentistry, 1971
Medical Research Institute, 1971
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, 1974
Institute of Graduate Studies & Research, 1983
Faculty of Tourism and Hotels, 1983
Alexandria University supervised the establishment of four satellite faculties in the Nile Delta. Those were: Faculty of Medicine in 1962 and Faculties of Science (1969) in Tanta (currently Tanta University), Education and Agriculture in 1969 in Kafr-Elsheikh (currently Kafr-Elsheikh University), which composed the nucleus of Tanta University.
Seven other Faculties were established in Damanhour, the capital of Behera Governorate: the Faculty of Education (1980), the Faculties of Arts, Agriculture, and Commerce (1983), and, very recently, three new Faculties: Science, Veterinary Medicine, and Nursing (2007).
In 1989, the Faculties and Institute affiliated to Helwan University and located in Alexandria joined the University by a Presidential Decree: four Faculties of Physical Education for men, Physical Education for women, fine Arts, and agriculture at Saba-Basha.
A Faculty of Basic Education was also established in 1991 in Marsa-Matrouh Governorate, 300 Km west of Alexandria. In 1998, two Faculties affiliated to the ministry of Higher Education, joined the University: Kindergarten Teachers Training, and Specific Education.
Believing in its role towards Arab and African countries, Alexandria University established in 1960 in Beirut, Lebanon, "Beirut Arab University" which is run and supervised by educational and administrative cadres from Alexandria University. Very recently, Alexandria University is working on the establishment of a branch in Juba, south of Sudan, and in N'djamena in Tchad.